Friday, January 15, 2010

Even from the day before yesterday, a great many blogs have already gone up and running intensely in a way that makes me green with envy due to their visual opulence and humor and pertinence.

Many center around the question of what an epiphany is. It derives in part from the Greek word phanos, meaning "seen". It is beginning to appear more and more that epiphanies require the act of seeing, such as Taylor's memory of seeing leaves for the first time after she got her glasses when she was eight. One says "I had a prophetic vision" after all. The word vision comes from the Sanskrit word vid, meaning "to see"(which is obviously where the term "video" comes from). And the important Hindu scriptures are called the Vedas, deriving from the Sanskrit vid as well. And in case it wasn't connected enough, the final word of Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse is "vision". Lily Briscoe the painter says "I've had my vision." At another point in time I will be blogging about my first encounter with To the Lighthouse, and by extension my first encounter with Virginia(on whom, it must be confessed, I have a raging intellectual crush), a writer perceptive to epiphanies if anyone was.

And this connection makes sense even more, since TS Eliot takes a great many points of influence from The Bhagavad Gita, a Hindu religous text.

And the difference, which we doubtless will begin to explore, the difference(if any) between a theophony(seeing God) and an epiphany.

And I also need to read Theodore Roethke's The Far-field now.

No comments:

Post a Comment